Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ladies of the Lake by Haywood Smith

The library owns the book and the audiobook. I listened and it was great. I have never read anything by Haywood Smith but I will go look for more of them. It is the story of four sisters: Dahlia, Rose, Violet and Iris (who is scared to death of spiders - just like me!). They are around my age (read the book if you want to find out). Their grandma, Cissy, dies. Cissy has been a bit strange for a long time. Last thing the sisters knew was that Cissy was going to leave whatever she had to some religious group she had become interested in. When Cissy dies the sisters go up to the lake to meet with the lawyer. Much to their great surprise Cissy had recently changed her will - AND she was really, really rich! Much to their chagrin Cissy has put in a stipulation. To get the money the four sisters must spend the summer together at the lake. They haven't been in that close proximity to each other in decades, so there are bound to be a few problems. I enjoyed the characters and the story - there are dead bodies in the basement, a rabid raccoon, skinny dipping......... and so on. An enjoyable read.

No comments: