Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Bucolic Plague: How Two Manhattanites Became Gentleman Farmers by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

On the way home from their annual apple-picking weekend, the author and his partner stumble upon the 200-year-old-plus Beekman Mansion in upstate New York. Instantly smitten, they decide to buy it. And then starts their adventure of living in the city, commuting on the weekends, working to make their new purchase financially feasible, and trying to keep their relationship going.

They try everything - raising goats and using the milk to make goat milk soap, raising and selling heritage vegetables, starting a web site. And then the economic crash of 2008 hits and they are suddenly both without jobs, carrying two mortgages, and not sure what to do.

I will admit that I read this book because I had to (for a book club) and ended up finishing it because I wanted to. At one point, I laughed until I cried over their adventures. I cringed at some of the descriptions of life on a farm and worried along with them at the thought they might not be able to keep it. It was a fun easy read and I enjoyed it a lot.

No comments: