Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Magic Room by Jeffrey Zaslow 306.874 Zas

This was a GREAT book!  Zaslow wrote The Girls from Ames and co-authored The Last Lecture.  Since I loved those two books I was pretty sure I would like this one even though I didn't think I could relate to anything in it.   The Magic Room refers to a room (formerly a bank vault!) where brides go to see themselves in the wedding dress that they think might be the one.  This is the story of Becker's Bridal, an amazing bridal store in a small town in Michigan.  The shop has been run by four generations of the Becker family.  Zaslow takes us on a journey where we meet those women as well as some of the recent brides who visited the shop.  Many brides come here because this is where their mothers or grandmothers bought their dresses.   Zaslow focused on eight brides (and their families).  You might think that since this is a bridal shop that all the stories must be happy.  As with most of us, there is always pain somewhere in our lives.  It is a beautifully written book and I would highly recommend it to all of you.  The subtitle of this book is "A Story About the Love We Wish For Our Daughters".  There are lessons to be learned from the book.  One of the lessons that I learned is that life is often too short and certainly not fair.  I want to quote part of the last paragraph in the Acknowledgments.  "Someday, perhaps, I'll have a chance to be a father of a bride............. My job as a father will be simple.  My job will be to tell my daughters I love them. Thanks to all of you for helping me understand this."  Zaslow and his wife had three daughters.  He won't get to be the father of the bride because he was killed in a car accident this past February while he was out promoting this book.  We lost a really great writer.  RIP Mr. Zaslow.

No comments: