Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Shadow on the Crown by Patricia Bracewell (FIC)

In Normandy in 1002, fifteen-year-old Emma, sister of the Duke of Normandy, finds herself married to a much older (and hostile) King of England.  Not only does her new husband treat her with disdain but she is surrounded by a court full of people who consider her an outsider as well as a rival who will take any step to get rid of her.  England at the time is under constant attack from Danish invaders and it is imperative that no one know of Emma's Danish heritage. 

In spite of these difficulties, Emma comes to love the English people - and finds love in the one place she shouldn't.  Just as things appear to be calming down, the Danes attack again and Emma's life is in danger.

I like most historical fiction (Sharon Kay Penman is a favorite) and I would put this novel up there with some of my favorites.  Emma is a well-drawn character who struggles in a court full of intrigue where she is both inexperienced and the outsider.  Her reactions to the people and situations around her seem real and it is possible to see her grow as the novel progresses.

Perhaps the best test of whether I liked this book or not was that it stayed in my thoughts for hours after I finished it.  I know it is the first of a trilogy and I found myself wanting to go on immediately to the next book so that I could see what happens next.

No comments: