Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood FIC Hoo

I really liked this book.  It was not the usual fare.  The story goes back and forth between Claire at the time of JFK's inauguration and Vivien in 1919.  Of course the two threads come together at the end, but in the meantime I was happy to follow the life of each of these women.  Vivien suffered unrelenting grief after the San Francisco earthquake in 1906.  She could never accept the idea that he died.  An unexpected encounter led her to channel some of her grief into helping others cope with theirs by writing unique obituaries that truly captured the essence of the departed.  Even though I was almost a teenager when JFK took office I was fairly unobservant of the times I lived in.  Reading about Claire's situation back then made me remember that ....we've come a long way baby!  Those women really were expected to be the perfect wife.  It is not a long book but I think it will quickly draw you in and keep you there until the last page.

No comments: