Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Midnight in Siberia

I like travel narratives (but only ones where things go wrong).  I also enjoy David Greene's reporting for NPR so when I saw his book "Midnight in Siberia: A Train Journey in the Heart of Russia" I knew I had to read it. And since this is a book about Russia, I suspected a few things might go wrong (spoiler alert: they do).

Former Moscow NPR Bureau Chief Greene took the Trans-Siberian Railway on a 6,000 mile journey from Moscow to Vladivostok.  Take a look at the book cover.  Looks like fun, right?

Along with battling the cold, Greene and his translator and friend Sergei visit interesting towns and sights, but his focus is the people he meets and their stories.  In a nutshell: Russians are a complicated bunch.  

I suggest reading it in front of a warm fire with a glass of vodka and a plate of Salo (basically pickles with pig lard).  If you're looking for yummy Russian recipes, this might not be the book for you.  However, Greene's insight and humor makes this great choice for anyone looking for a nuanced and thoughtful look at Russia and its people.

You can find "Midnight in Siberia" in the new nonfiction section: 914.704 Gre. 


No comments: