Thursday, May 7, 2015

A Good Place To Hide by Peter Grose 940.5336 Gro

   
The subtitle for this book is "How One French Community Saved Thousands of Lives During World War II."  And that sums up this book.  I love books about history, particularly during the WWII era and if it takes place in France it is even better!  I don't remember reading anything else about this central-eastern pocket of France where thousands of people (mostly Jews) were hidden and helped.  How did they manage to do this?  In the author's words "Nobody asked questions, nobody demanded money. Villagers lied, covered up, procrastinated and concealed, but most importantly they welcomed."

Even though this is a serious book it read quickly.  The stories of many people are told throughout the book.  I really appreciated the "Whatever happened to......?"  section at the end of the book.  After reading about what these people went through I was glad to know the rest of the story.  It is a book of inspiration and wonder.

And as always I wonder if I could have been nearly as brave and unselfish as these ordinary people.

Click here to check our catalog for availability.

No comments: