Sunday, May 31, 2015

Her Name is Rose by Christine Breen FIC Bre


This is a debut novel.  I knew it would be a bit happily-ever-after but that is what I was in the mood for and I am glad I took a chance on it!  I have never been to Ireland (except for Shannon Airport) but I am continually drawn to novels that take place there.  I can't explain why, I just know that I find them rather soothing for some reason.  This is the story of Iris.  Her life was a good one.  She loved her husband, Luke, and they had a beautiful and talented daughter named Rose whom they had adopted when she was a baby.  Two years ago Luke died and it has been hard.  Iris has become even more involved in her gardening and writes articles for a newspaper on the subject.  Rose has gone to London to continue her studies of the violin.

And suddenly everything starts to fall apart.  She has been dismissed from the newspaper (budget problems), although they would like her presence on-line in the form of a gardening blog - no salary of course.  The same day she goes to her mammography appointment.  When she finds out that she needs to come back in for more tests her anxiety skyrockets.  Before Luke died he wanted Iris to find Rose's biological mother in case something should also happen to Iris.  There were no relatives on either side and he didn't want Rose to be alone.  Immediately Iris sets off to find the woman who gave birth to Rose almost two decades ago.   I loved the characters and the background of this book.  I will certainly keep my eyes open for Ms. Breen's second novel.

Click here to check our catalog for availability.

No comments: