Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult

I would like to start this out by telling you that I typically read fantasy and science fiction books, so this book was way out of my norm. With that said this book was AMAZING! With the books I usually read, it is easy to root for one side or the other, but with this book the topic is so controversial I couldn't decide what was right, what was wrong or even what I would do if I was in that situation!

Sarah and Brian have 2 children, Jesse and Kate. At a very young age Kate is diagnosed with a rare type of leukemia, and the best way (and safest way) for her to survive is for a sibling that is an exact genetic match to give her blood. After testing Jesse to find that he isn't a match, they have Anna - but before that they have fancy tests done to make sure that Anna will be a genetic match.

Now, 13 years later, Kate needs a kidney transplant, and Anna files a lawsuit against her parents for the right to decide if she wants to donate her own organs (or not)... She has already donated many things (blood cells, bone marrow etc etc).

This story is told in the perspective of all the characters... Anna, Cambell (Anna's Lawyer), Julia (the court-appointed guardian ad litem), Jesse, Sarah and Brian.

I recommend this book to everyone - no matter if you read fantasy, mystery, western or anything in between! This is most definitely the BEST book I have read (actually I listened to it) in a very long time! So if you are searching for something to read, this is your book!

No comments: