Monday, January 31, 2011

Unbroken 940.54 Hil by Laura Hillenbrand

I don't know what to say about this book except read it!!!! (Or listen to it which is what I did) Hillenbrand has written this so beautifully that it reads like a best-selling novel - so don't be tempted to skip it because it is "non-fiction". This is the story of Louie Zamperini. He was a bit of a juvenile delinquent, then a track star, then an Olympic participant and finally a member of the Army Air Corps. The story is interesting, entertaining and often amusing..... but then his plane crash-lands, leaving him adrift with two other men. Listening to this part of the story left me hungry, thirsty and afraid of sharks. When they at last reach an island they are captured by the Japanese. This part of the story left me hungry, thirsty and just plain afraid. How Louie and others survived the torture is beyond my comprehension. For me the saddest part of the book was after Louie returns home. His experiences could not be left behind and like soldiers from all wars, the PTSD was unbelievable. And of course back then no one recognized PTSD and the soldiers had to get through it the best they could. It reminded me that when men and women go to war for us, their sacrifice doesn't end when they get home. What an outstanding book. Read it!

No comments: