Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Dark Side of Innocence by Terri Cheney 616.895 Che


I remember when the Library got Cheney's book Manic. I thought it looked like a good book but somehow it fell off of my radar before I got it read. I will definitely check it out now that I have read this book. Manic was her memoir of her adult struggle with bipolar disorder. This book tells the story of her childhood. I think growing up is tough enough when you are "normal". Fighting bipolor disorder seems impossible. And Terri did it without knowing what was wrong with her - but something was - she heard that often enough. Life was so painful that she tried to commit suicide at the age of 7. She had highs when she whipped through her homework and received the highest grades. She had lows which left her in bed for weeks. This is a tough book to read. But think about this -according to the book jacket, this illness affects one million children. So chances are you know or will know someone with it at some time in your life. Don't we owe it to these children to know a little bit about their world? Just a thought.

No comments: