Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Silent Land by Graham Joyce


I am not sure why I checked this book out because it seemed to be a little bit out of my comfort zone. That said, I took it home and started reading it that night.....and finished it early the next morning. Jake and Zoe are taking an up-scale skiing trip to celebrate their ten-year anniversary. On the second day of their trip they get up very, very early so they can be the first ones on the snow. They seem to be alone as they ski their way down the mountain. And then they hear the rumble. It's an avalanche. Jake yells at Zoe to get to the side and she does her best. They are separated and Zoe finds herself encased in snow with a small amount of air that she captured when she threw her arms up in front of her face. When her cries go unheeded she begins to try and dig her way out. The description made me feel a bit panicky too! Eventually Jake finds her and finishes digging her out. Now they have to make the scary descent back to the village. But when they arrived at their hotel, no one was there. By now I am hearing the theme song to Twilight Zone playing in the background and I am very intrigued. It was a quick read and a nice change of pace for me. Try it for yourself.

No comments: