Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai


When Lucy Hull, the childrens' librarian at the Hannibal Public Library, arrives at work one morning, she is surprised to find her favorite patron camped out there. Ten-year-old Ian Drake has run away from home. Concerned about him and his relationship with his parents, Lucy lets Ian talk her into taking him home - a drive that leads them from Missouri to Chicago to Pittsburgh and, finally, Vermont. Is Lucy a kidnapper? Or has she been kidnapped?

I will admit to misgivings in even ordering this book. Librarians suffer from such a weird stereotype that I wasn't sure I wanted to add "kidnapper" to the common lore. But universally good reviews finally convinced me.

I enjoyed the author's writing style and her description of Ian. I'm not sure that her description of his home life was convincing enough to make Lucy convinced she was in the right to run away with him. But I also think that Lucy knew that and her inner dialogue about what she was doing and how it was going to end (and where she was going to end up - in jail?) was part of what made the book interesting and kept my attention. And, really, what librarian or person who loves books and reading wouldn't enjoy all the literary references?

No comments: