Tuesday, August 16, 2011

State of Wonder by Ann Pachett


I read the book jacket of this book and didn't think I would really be interested in it. But I do like Pachett's books so I decided to take a chance. (Did you ever meet anyone braver than I am!). I actually listened to the audiobook and the reader did a great job. The story centers around a pharmaceutical company in Minnesota. They have a researcher, Dr. Swenson, who is studying a tribe in the Amazon jungle. The women in this tribe are having babies in their sixties and beyond. I don't know who would find that appealing but the company thinks there is big, big money for them if they can figure out why. Swenson has been down there for years with very little contact much to the dismay of the greedy company. So the company has sent Anders Eckman to check things out. Before Anders relays any useful information, word is sent that Anders has died of an illness. Now they send Dr. Marina Singh off to check on things for the company and see what she can find out about Ander's death at the request of his widow. I quickly became involved in the novel and enjoyed every minute of it. Complex characters, a geography and culture lesson, a bit of romance and of course......a mystery! What did happen to Anders and why won't Dr. Swenson call home????

No comments: