Tuesday, January 10, 2012

South of Superior by Ellen Airgood


This book has been in the library since June and every time I saw the cover I thought "that looks like a good book". Last week I finally checked it out. Once again my instinct was correct - good cover= good book. Well, that may not always work, but it did this time. I very much enjoyed the cast of characters - the good, the bad and the strange. There is a family story that is told bit by bit which kept me wanting to know what happened in the past. The main character is Madeline Stone. She was raised by Emma after being abandoned by her mother and rejected by her grandfather. Now she is grown up and living in the house Emma left her when she died. Her life consists of doing some art, working as a waitress and spending time with her boyfriend. Then one day she receives a request from Gladys. Gladys was her deceased grandfather's "friend". Every year Madeline would receive a birthday card and $5 from Gladys. Now Gladys wants Madeline to move up to the UP in Michigan and help care for Gladys' sister, Arbutus. Madeline is angry that she would be asked to do that. I bet you have already guessed that she ends up there anyway! This book is a story of a small town, the people who live there and learning to forgive. I enjoyed it a lot.

No comments: