Sunday, September 8, 2013

Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman (FIC Hof)

Teddi Overman lives in Charleston, North Carolina, where she is the successful owner of an antiques/restoration store.  She moved there when she was 18 to follow her dream of working with furniture.  Now, 20 years later, she still misses her brother who mysteriously disappeared almost 17 years ago.  Teddi has never really accepted that he might be dead but neither has she heard anything from him in all those years.  Over the course of this novel, she deals with love, loss, and possibilities.

I loved this author's first book (Saving CeCe Honeycutt) and couldn't wait to dive into this one.  I found myself disappointed.  I liked Teddi well enough and found the descriptions of Charleston to be rich enough to make me want to visit there...soon.  I liked the people in Teddi's life, too.

What I found distracting, however, was the pacing of the book.  It jumps back and forth in time which is a technique I generally like.  While the jumps back in time were clearly marked the present time (or was it the present time?) was not so clear.  What year were we in?  How much time had elapsed?  At times it seemed like the time period in the book was only a few months but at others I thought it must have been two years or more.

Ultimately I just wanted to tell Teddi to get on with her life.  I think by the end of the book she had with loose ends that were very neatly (perhaps too neatly?) wrapped up.

No comments: