Thursday, August 14, 2014

Birds of a Feather: A Maisie Dobbs Novel by Jacqueline Winspear MYS Win

 
I have been "binge reading" Winspear's books.  I found several of her books available through WILBOR and that is my favorite way to read her books.  I have not been reading them in order and it isn't a problem as far as I am concerned.  Reading some of the older books has made me understand her actions in later books.  This book takes place not long after Maisie Dobbs has set up her agency.  It is 1930 but the effects of WWI are still obvious in the population of London.  Add to that the Depression and bad things are going to happen.

Maisie has been investigating a murder but before she can wrap it up she gets called to look for the spoiled daughter of a wealthy man.  It appears she has run away (she is actually an adult, so it is more like she left without notice!) and Joseph Waite feels that it reflects badly on his family name. 

As Maisie begins investigating she finds there is a connection between the two cases.  I love Maisie - a little bit Hercule Poirot and a lot of Miss Marple.  The time era adds to the charm of Winspear's books.

No comments: