Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Care and Management of Lies: A Novel of the Great War by Jacqueline Winspear FIC Win

I have been listening to a lot of Maisie Dobbs books from WILBOR.  This is the newest novel by Winspear and  no Maisie Dobbs.   Although I missed Maisie I did enjoy reading this stand-alone novel.   I especially appreciated it when I found out that it was released in conjunction with the one hundredth year anniversary of the beginning of World War I.  That was a horrible war and it never gets much press!

Kezia and Thea are best friends at school.  When Kezia falls in love with Thea's brother, Thea is happy to know that her friend will be in her family but she has her doubts that Kezia can be a very good farm wife.  Their bond begins to fall apart.  Thea becomes involved in the suffragette movement and Kezia takes on her new 'job title' with a vengeance.  When Tom's friends and employees begin signing up, he feels that he needs to also.  Kezia is left behind to run the farm and to keep Tom entertained with letters of meals she is 'cooking' for him. The food part got a bit much, but I really liked the characters, the mood of the book and the spotlight on that part of history.



  

No comments: