Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself Memoir by Dee Williams 640.92 Wil


There are some books that inspire me - and this one did just that.  I got rid of some more 'stuff' that has been hanging around my house.  This woman ended up living in an  eighty-four-square-foot house.  She did some serious downsizing.

Dee had a busy life.  Besides working full-time she spent a lot of time fixing up the house she had bought.  The things she taught herself how to do was amazing.  She loved her house but as we all know,  home ownership is one of those things that keeps on taking......time and money.  How freeing would it be to downsize - both financially and mentally?

When she had a serious health scare at 41 she realized that she wanted to change her priorities.

Enter the idea of a DIY tiny-urban-house.  She had read an article about these houses by a guy who lives in Iowa City.  After calling him and asking some questions she ends up coming to Iowa to talk to him.  It is not a very big structure - how long could it possibly take to build????  A bit longer than she thought.

Her memoir takes us through the trials and tribulations.  And then she tells us about her new home with such wonderful vocabulary that I want one!  Of course I would just put it in my side yard and spend a few hours enjoying the stars or rain and then I would come back inside.  However, the idea of being able to clean a house in 10 minutes and to spend $8 a month on utilities is very appealing.

I loved the book and I loved her (partly because every night she carries her (rather large) dog up the ladder to go to bed).  My kind of person. 

No comments: