Thursday, August 14, 2014

The National Parks: America's Best Idea by Dayton Duncan 333.78 Dun

This is the companion book for a PBS documentary of the same name which was directed by Ken Burns.  It is a spectacular production.  I recently watched it again and was lulled into a place of tranquility.  After I finished it I decided I didn't want the feeling to end.  So I checked out the audio edition.  It is over 15 hours and I thought it might take me a week or so to finish - but I finished it on the third day.  The writing is so wonderful and the story is an important one that I just kept listening every moment I could.  If you are going on a long road trip this would be an excellent choice - but I should warn you that you might change your plans along the way and head to the nearest green space!  Thank heaven for the brave and passionate people who worked so hard to keep these jewels for us.  This book is a wonderful combination of education and entertainment.  Afterwards I checked out the physical books to look at the pictures.

The narration was good - but it would have been better with Dayton reading the whole thing instead of just at the end!

No comments: