Thursday, February 26, 2015

I'll Drink to That by Betty Halbreich 746.9 Hal

This was an easy read that I found interesting - even though it is about fashion which doesn't really interest me that much!   The first part of the book is about Halbreich's childhood and an early (unhappy) marriage.  The main theme is about her career.  As a child she was passionate about what she wore and that continued throughout her life.  She parlayed that into a career that began at the Bergdorf Goodman store.  She began a personal shopping service long before anyone else had thought of it.  And it was really all about service.  She didn't try to make money for the store.  It was all about making the clients find the perfect clothes.  There is a lot of name-dropping throughout the book.  The most touching was the part about Walter Cronkite's wife.  She was a long-time client.  When she became ill Walter came in to shop for his wife.  (I loved Walter!).

This book was about a world that is completely foreign to me and yet I found it very entertaining.

Click here to check our catalog for availability.

No comments: