Monday, February 23, 2015

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty 363.7 Dou


First I will say that the rest of the title is " & Other Lessons from the Crematory".  So now you know - and will either be curious about the book or repulsed!  I was curious.  There is some history of death customs (and I love history).  There are some entertaining stories of people that Doughty met through her work. There are honest descriptions that happen to bodies after the death. (And I did get a few goosebumps thinking about family that have been cremated).  Mostly it is the story of Caitlin which begins when she is in her twenties.  She has a degree in medieval history which doesn't really make one very employable.  Death had always fascinated her so I guess it is not too strange that she found employment at a crematory.  I found this book to be very readable and fascinating.  Certainly not for everyone but it is certainly less gruesome than watching an action movie!

Click here to check our catalog for availability.

No comments: