Friday, February 25, 2011

The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards

I loved Edwards' previous book "The Memory Keeper's Daughter". I was looking forward to reading (in my case listening) to "The Lake of Dreams". But if I am being honest, I didn't care for it very much. I did finish it so that I knew how everything ended - but I really didn't care that much. Here is the storyline. Lucy is living overseas with her boyfriend, Yoshi. She comes home to upstate New York to her childhood home because her mom has had an accident. It wasn't that serious of an accident but Yoshi convinces her it is time for her to go home after avoiding it since her father's untimely death. Her brother has gone into the family business. There is a story line about draining a marsh to build on. There is also the one about Lucy's old boyfriend. The main storyline is the one where a hidden note in the old family home leads Lucy to dig into her family's past.
It is an okay book, but quite frankly I really didn't care about the family secret or the family dynamics.

No comments: