Saturday, May 3, 2014

Love in the Land of Dementia by Deborah Shouse 362.196 Sho


A quote from the book: "I forget how many things you can forget.  My mother reminds me."

The subtitle of this book is Finding Hope in the Caregiver's Journey.  I don't think I found much hope - but it is a book that can bring some comfort and support to anyone who is dealing with this.  One certainly gets an up-close look at the impact of Alzheimer's on the family - especially if they are the caregivers.  The story is told with honesty.  It follows the progression of the disease - a little denial, lots of grief and more than enough guilt.  On one occasion Shouse brings her mom to her house to meet a new great-granddaughter.  The nurse sends an extra diaper along.  Some hours later she is wondering if her mother is sitting in a wet diaper.  "Still, I cannot walk over to the plastic sack and take out the white rectangle of protective paper. I cannot take my mother's hands and guide her into the bathroom.  I am not ready to take another step away from being her daughter, toward being her caretaker."     

It is interesting to see how Shouse handles the situations differently than her father does.  This is not an easy book to read.  It is, however, straight from the heart and an education. 


No comments: