Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Perfect Score Project by Debbie Stier 378.1 Sti

The subtitle is: Uncovering the Secrets of the SAT!
The only test I plan on taking in the future is an eye exam.  So why did I read this book?  Because I'm a bit weird when it comes to my taste in non-fiction books.  It looked interesting and it was.  I took the SAT in the 60's.  I remember nothing of the experience.  I was told I needed to take it so I did.  I have no idea what my score was.  I certainly wasn't traumatized by the experience.  Today it is a big industry!  Stier wanted to make sure her son was prepared for the test.  She went on a mission to find out about and sample as many preps as possible (and also took the test herself seven times!!!!).  People spend lots and lots of money on this stuff.  You can pick up a lot of good tips by borrowing this book from the library!

 I have never been a fan of standardized tests- either as a student or as a teacher.  This book does nothing to improve my attitude!  I liked the history and background of the SAT and how it has changed over the years.  The people that are making millions in the SAT industry have a good thing going. Kids and their parents are being held hostage and I guess you are forced to play the game.  This book will give you some insight!  So if you, or someone you love is going down this road check out this book - it really is very readable!
       

No comments: