Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Necklace by Cheryl Jarvis 302.34

I loved this book. It reminded a lot of The Girls From Ames. Jonell fell in love with a diamond necklace. She really didn't own much good jewelry and it's rather odd that this piece made such an impression on her. She went in the store to look closer and tried it on. The price tag? $37,000. (My first house cost $19,000!) She thought about it a lot over the next few weeks. Then one day she was back at the mall with her mother and couldn't resist having her mother try it on. Now the necklace was on sale for $22,000 and there was also a sign that said bids would be taken on any of the jewelry in the store. Her idea was to get friends to share the cost and the ownership of the necklace.
We hear the tale of how that took place. From there the book turns to the individual stories of the "owners". We learn about their lives and what transpired when they had the necklace. I thought it was fascinating. It is story of friendship, compassion and many other things. I hope a follow-up book is written so I can again follow the adventures of "Jewelia" (That's the name of the necklace - it was to honor Julia Childs! I loved that). I highly recommend this book.

No comments: