Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

I checked this book out because I read all of Anne Tyler's books. I didn't find any of the characters to be likable - from Liam, the main character to his grandson. There really wasn't much action in the book - other than a break-in at Liam's apartment at the beginning of the book. And yet I read this book in a few days. I think Tyler is a terrific writer and I just get pulled into the story somehow.
Liam has been a teacher for a long time even though he started out wanting to be a philosopher (never a great career choice!). Now at the age of 61 he has been downsized. He moves into a small apartment where he will think about what to do. He doesn't have long to think because the first night there he goes to sleep and wakes up in a hospital. He doesn't remember anything about the break-in and it is driving him crazy because he lost that time. Then he drives his ex-wife and his three grown daughters crazy too. Then he becomes infatuated with a woman he sees who appears to be a sort of aide for a gentleman with a failing memory.
It is a good thing that Anne Tyler has a good reputation as a writer because my blog wouldn't send anyone rushing to the library to check out this book ! Trust her reputation - it's a good book!

No comments: