Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich

I have tried to read other books by Erdrich and didn't get very far. When I read the premise of this book I was hooked. Irene is married to a temperamental artist Gil and they have three children. Gil is always suspicious and jealous when it comes to Irene, who is the subject of most of his art. One night when Gil is talking to one of his children he makes a comment that makes Irene realize he has read her diary. Instead of confronting him, she comes up with a devious plan. She moves her real diary to a safety deposit box and visits the bank to write in it! In the meantime she has another diary hidden in the place her husband discovered. She writes things in it to drive her husband crazy - and he was already pretty close!
Although I liked this idea, the reality of the book was less likable! It was a very depressing book as I followed the story of this dysfunctional family. I wanted to know what happened, so I kept reading. I doubt that I will read the next book she writes.

No comments: