Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens

This was an odd book. I wasn't very fond of the characters. The one who might have been the most likable is often talked about but not seen. This is the story of Mary who has been married for twenty-five years minus one day to the love of her life, Jimmy. Jimmy has always been loving and kind to Mary, despite her enormous weight gain and her refusal to go anywhere or do anything. When he doesn't come home the night before their anniversary she is afraid something has happened to him. She goes through the pockets of his clothes looking for clues. She soon takes off to try and find him. She struggles with an ATM card, a cell phone and traveling by plane. I wanted to find out how it ended but the story didn't ring very true to me!

1 comment:

Dorothea said...

I completely disagree - I LOVED Mary Gooch!!! This is my favorite book so far this year - moving, surprisingly funny at times and tremendously insightful.