Thursday, April 22, 2010

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

I didn't read Eat Pray and Love by Gilbert. I didn't intend to read this one either.....but I looked at the cover and read the book jacket. It had to do with her decision to get married and her conversations with women around the world on the subject of marriage. I've never been married so I really didn't think I would be very interested. Then we received the audio book. Suddenly I was more interested because I'm always looking for books to listen to! So I took it home and put it on my Ipod and actually listened to the whole thing and truly enjoyed it. Gilbert tells the story of falling in love with an older divorce from Brazil. Felipe and Elizabeth get along very well. Of course they don't spend all of their time together so that helps. Neither one is interested in giving marriage another try and they see no reason to even try.......until Homeland Security steps in. Suddenly Felipe is not free to continue his frequent trips to the States. When asked what they should do about the problem, the Homeland Security guy confides that probably the only solution is to get married.
The book is about the time they spent in "exile" waiting for the red tape to allow them to be together in the US. While they travel around Elizabeth makes it her mission to find out more about the state of marriage. I found it to be an enjoyable, interesting and sometimes informative book.

No comments: