Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Hole We're In by Gabrielle Zevin

This book was different than what I expected - but I really liked it. The write-up I read talked about the Pomeroys, a Christian family that gets themselves into financial trouble. I thought that subject alone could fill a book! The book begins with the beginning of the "hole they dug". With one child graduating from college, another in college and the 10-yr. old Patsy, still at home, Roger Pomeroy decides he should leave his job as a principal in a religious high school and return to college for his PHd. He has lots of reasons why this is a good idea- for him. For the rest of his family - well, not so much. The consequences of this financial bind are obvious as the bills mount up. What I loved about this book is the continuation of the lives of the Pomeroys. We see how decisions that were made and secrets that were kept had a profound affect on the family for decades to come. Great book.

No comments: