Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini FIC Chi

I have never 'read' a book by Chiaverini but I think I have listened to all of them. As with all of her previous books I have been entertained and I've always learned something new about history.   Elizabeth Hobbs Keckley was born a slave.  She was raped by a white man on the plantation and gave birth to a son.  She was eventually able to earn enough money to buy freedom for herself and her son.  These facts are just briefly stated in the book.  The story actually begins shortly before Elizabeth becomes - I bet you already guessed it -  a dressmaker for Mrs. Lincoln!  It is a fascinating look into the private part of the White House.  I have already downloaded to my Kindle the book that Keckley wrote about her time in the White House - and someday I will find time to read it.  It is called Behind the Scenes: Thirty Years a Slave and Four Years in the White House. 

No comments: