Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Secrets to the Grave by Tami Hoag

Soon after beginning the audio of this book, I realized that there was a book that preceded this one with the same characters. I still enjoyed this book but I wish I had read them in order - just because that makes me happy! (It's called Deeper Than the Dead and I am going to check it out).
But back to this book. We are so used to crime shows set in the 21st century, that we forget that it wasn't that long ago there was no DNA testing, sophisticated computer programs and all the other tricks we see on C.S.I. The crime in this book took place in 1986. A four-year-old has called (I assume 911) and said that her daddy killed her mommy. When police arrive they find a blood bath. Marissa Fordham has been sliced up. Her daughter Haley is found next to her mother. She is breathing but just barely, and they assume the bloody fingerprints around her neck mean that she was strangled. She does survive.
So Vince, FBI profiler, should have an easy time of it. Except for the fact that no one seems to know who Haley's father is. After more probing it seems that Marissa Fordham doesn't really exist either. There are no shortage of suspects, so it kept me guessing. I enjoyed it.

No comments: